"House of Cards" to end after upcoming sixth season; decision was made prior to Spacey controversy

October 30, 2017 - 3:47 pm
Categories: 

(HOLLYWOOD) -- Following actor Anthony Rapp's allegation that House of Cards star Kevin Spacey made a sexual advance towards him when he was 14,  now comes the news that the hit Netflix show's upcoming sixth season will be its last, ABC News has confirmed.

Netflix has also released a statement regarding Rapp's allegation, which Spacey says he does not remember, but for which he has apologized.  The statement says the streaming service is "deeply troubled" by the news about Spacey.

The statement added, "In response to last night’s revelations, executives from both of our companies arrived in Baltimore this afternoon to meet with our cast and crew to ensure that they continue to feel safe and supported. As previously scheduled, Kevin Spacey is not working on set at this time.”

A rep for House of Cards confirmed to ABC news that the decision to end the show was made before the controversy about Spacey broke.

Spacey has also faced criticism for tying his apology to Rapp to his announcement that he now "chooses" -- his word --  "to live as a gay man."  Singer and reality show star Clay Aiken, who is openly gay, tweeted, "Hey @KevinSpacey, you can choose to act like a pervert; you can't 'choose' to be gay."

Openly gay comedian Wanda Sykes tweeted, "No no no no no! You do not get to 'choose' to hide under the rainbow! Kick rocks!"

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Comments ()