In this June 9, 2019 photo, Father Eduard Perrone conducts a choir during mass at Assumption of the Blessed Virgin March Parish in Detroit. The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Detroit said Sunday, July 7 that it has removed Perrone from public ministry after receiving what it described as a "credible allegation" that he had abused a child decades ago. (AP Photo/Paul Sancya)

Archdiocese removes prominent Detroit priest from pulpit

July 07, 2019 - 11:47 pm

DETROIT (AP) — The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Detroit has removed a conservative priest from public ministry after reviewing what it called a "credible allegation" that he had abused a child decades ago.

Rev. Eduard Perrone's suspension came a month after The Associated Press began asking the pastor, archdiocese and law enforcement officials about a former altar boy's allegations that Perrone had groped him.

Archdiocese officials told Perrone's congregation at Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Parish during Sunday serves that members of the local review board found a "semblance of truth" to the accusations. Church officials say they are maintaining a presumption of innocence, but have added him to the archdiocese's list of dozens of credibly accused priests.

Last month, Perrone denied any wrongdoing when the AP asked him about the allegations.

AP Editorial Categories: 
Comments ()