People watch as an excavator digs, at a site where two houses were crushed by the collapse of a massive, sprawling dumpsite that hit just after midnight when rains poured in Pemba city on the northeastern coast of Mozambique, Monday, April, 29, 2019. Mozambique's government says the death toll from last week's Cyclone Kenneth has jumped to 38 as flooding continues. (AP Photo/Tsvangirayi Mukwazhi)

The Latest: Continued rain expected in northern Mozambique

April 29, 2019 - 11:10 am
Categories: 

PEMBA, Mozambique (AP) — The Latest on Cyclone Kenneth in Mozambique (all times local):

6:10 p.m.

Mozambique's national weather service forecasts continued rain in the country's northeast, which has been hard hit by flooding following Cyclone Kenneth, the second severe tropical storm to hit the nation within six weeks.

The government said earlier Monday that 38 people have died as a result of the cyclone, which hit the northeastern port of Pemba and nearby areas on April 18. Since Kenneth made landfall the area has been pummeled with heavy rains have caused heavy flooding and landslides.

The national meteorological institute said the northeastern Mozambican region will continue to receive moderate to strong rain of more than 50 milliliters (3 inches) over the next 24 hours.

___

2 p.m.

Mozambique's government says the death toll from last week's Cyclone Kenneth has jumped to 38 as flooding continues.

The new toll was announced Monday as heavy rains continued to hamper efforts to deliver food and shelter to badly hit communities. More rain is forecast in the days ahead.

Kenneth roared into northern Mozambique on Thursday, just six weeks after Cyclone Idai struck the central part of the country. Flooding caused most of the more than 600 deaths that followed.

Now aid workers say they have an "awful sense of deja vu" after Kenneth as flood waters rise.

___

8:15 a.m.

Rains from Cyclone Kenneth, the second tropical storm to hit Mozambique within weeks, continued to pound the northeastern city of Pemba and surrounding areas causing massive flooding and destruction.

One death has been confirmed so far and 160,000 people are at risk, with more torrential rain forecast for the days ahead.

The government described the situation as "critical" in other centers of Cabo Delgado province which are unreachable by road. In a statement Sunday night, the government said the death toll could rise due to "worrying" rains.

The towns of Ibo, Macomia and Quissanga have been badly flooded and many buildings and homes destroyed. Access to those centers is currently not possible by road and the heavy rains have made air contact difficult. Safe drinking water has become scarce.

AP Editorial Categories: 
Comments ()