Children escape when Christmas lights lead to Kansas roof fire

December 24, 2018 - 7:11 pm
Categories: 

Three children and their baby sitter escaped a fire at a Shawnee home that started when Christmas lights ignited leaves in a gutter.

The fire was reported about 2:30 p.m. Friday when lights ignited leaves and flames spread to wood shake shingles.

After hearing a crackling sound, one of the children looked out a window and saw the roof had caught fire.

The children, ages 4, 6 and 14, and their baby sitter escaped and called 911.

Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire and were able to save the family's Christmas tree and presents.

The fire caused about $40,000 in damage.

Comments ()