Dreamstime

Congressman Estes Approves Proposed Spending Cuts

Rescission package proposed by Trump administration

May 08, 2018 - 2:33 pm
Categories: 

Congressman Ron Estes (R-Kansas) is applauding $15 billion in spending cuts included in a rescission package proposed by the Trump administration; Rep. Estes says he was among the first members of Congress to call for budget rescissions last month.

“As an engineer and former businessman, I have made cutting government spending and waste my top priority in Congress,” said Estes. “This package is a good start to getting our fiscal house in order, but we must do more. I look forward to finding more ways we can cut spending, reform entitlements, and grow our economy in the future.”

Estes says President Trump’s $15.4 billion proposal is the largest rescission request submitted by any president since the measure was enacted in 1974. The proposal cuts $4.8 billion from the Department of Energy for programs which have not been used since 2011, $252 million from USAID for the 2016 Ebola epidemic, and $148 million for the 2015 avian flu outbreak. The proposal also cuts $7 billion in funds that are no longer necessary or can’t be spent as part of the Children’s Health Insurance Program, which Estes' office says does not impact the program.

 

Comments ()