Smoke detectors alert Wichita family to Christmas Eve house fire

December 24, 2018 - 11:54 pm
Categories: 

Fire officials say smoke detectors likely saved the lives of a family from a Christmas Eve house fire.

It happened around 6:00 a.m. Monday in the 4000 block of west 19th, near 13th and West. 

"In this fire, it appears that the smoke detectors got them up... it was still early morning," said Wichita fire Captain, Joe Ocadiz.

Ocadiz says the cause of the fire in the early stages of the investigation appears to be lithium ion battery that was on a charger in the lower level of the house

KSN News reports that the fire cause $75,000 in damage to the contents, and $25,000 in damages to the home.

The Red Cross was called in to assist the family.

Comments ()