Surprise! Eating liquid nitrogen may be bad for your health

September 02, 2018 - 6:45 pm

The US Food and Drug Administration has issued a warning about the potential dangers of eating liquid nitrogen.

The FDA wants people to know that eating foods such as ice cream, cereal or cocktails made with liquid nitrogen can cause serious injury, including internal organ damage. Inhaling the vapors released by those foods may also cause breathing difficulty, especially among asthma sufferers.

While liquid nitrogen is used in the preparation of some frozen foods and vegetables, the nitrogen evaporates into a gas before these items are consumed, so it isn't actually present by the time they are ingested. Foods prepared this way are safe to eat.

Trendy food and drinks prepared by adding liquid nitrogen are being sold in malls, food courts, kiosks, an other retail locations. These products emit a misty or smoke-like vapor. They are marketed under the names "Dragon’s Breath," "Heaven’s Breath," "nitro puff" and other similar names.

People who believe they have suffered injuries from ingesting liquid nitrogen should consult a doctor and report their injury to the FDA.

Comments ()