Topeka area home destroyed by 4th of July fire

Fireworks thrown in trash reignited

July 05, 2018 - 8:37 pm
Categories: 

Fire investigators say a fire that destroyed a house near Topeka began when fireworks thrown in the trash reignited.

The Kansas State Fire Marshal's office says both residents inside the home just south of Topeka city limits escaped the early Thursday fire after being awakened by smoke detectors. Firefighters rescued a dog and cat inside the home.

Firefighters responded to the fire near Lake Sherwood early Thursday, and the fire has been ruled accidental.

Fire investigator Tony Celeste says the fireworks were put in a trash bin near the house after they were shot off Wednesday evening.

He says the blaze damaged two vehicles.

Comments ()