Wichita: Updates on Three Recent Fires

Ted Woodward
December 27, 2017 - 3:45 pm



An update on three recent fires in Wichita:

*On the afternoon of Wednesday, December 20, smoke was billowing out of the top floor of the Shirkmere Apartments in downtown Wichita at 2nd & Topeka. Investigators determined the fire was accidental; evidence showed squatters were using an open flame to heat up food and to keep themselves warm at night in the penthouse room on the ninth floor. Fire crews stretched water lines all the way to the top of the building, containing the fire to the room-of-origin.


*On Tuesday evening, crews were called to a house fire in the southeast part Wichita in a neighborhood near Pawnee & the Canal Route. Heavy smoke & fire was coming from a detatched garage at the rear of the home in the 2500 block of E. Kinkaid. Residents had been using a wood-burning stove in the garage, and during the evening had a campfire burning nearby in the back yard that hadn't been completely extinguished. 


*Before 2:30 a.m. Wednesday, emergency personnel were on the scene of a fire in east Wichita, east of Douglas & Greenwich. Arriving fire crews in the 11700 block of E. Waterman found heavy fire and smoke coming from the front of the home. Three adults were safely evacuated from the burning home; they had been awakened by working smoke alarms. One victim who got out was treated for smoke inhalation, then released from the hospital. The fire was caused by combustible material near an unattended space heater.

Comments ()