Religious scandals

FILE - In this Oct. 23, 2016, file photo, a New Orleans Saints helmet rests on the playing field before an NFL football game in Kansas City, Mo. The Saints are going to court to keep the public from seeing hundreds of emails that allegedly show team executives doing public relations damage control for the area's Roman Catholic archdiocese to help it contain the fallout from a burgeoning sexual abuse crisis. (AP Photo/Jeff Roberson, File)
January 24, 2020 - 8:53 am
NEW ORLEANS (AP) — The New Orleans Saints are going to court to keep the public from seeing hundreds of emails that allegedly show team executives doing public relations damage control for the area's Roman Catholic archdiocese to help it contain the fallout from a burgeoning sexual abuse crisis...
Read More
In this Jan. 14, 2020 photo, tears well up in Ana Lucia Salazar's eyes as she tells her story of abuse, during an interview in Mexico City. Salazar says that she was sexually abused by a Legion of Christ priest when she was eight. (AP Photo/Marco Ugarte)
January 20, 2020 - 4:16 am
MEXICO CITY (AP) — The administrator of the elite Catholic school in Cancun, Mexico, used to take the girls out of class and send them to the chapel, where the priest from the Legion of Christ religious order would sexually abuse them. “As some were reading the Bible, he would rape the others in...
Read More
Former French priest Bernard Preynat, center, arrives at the Lyon court house, central France, Monday Jan.13, 2020. Bernard Preynat, is accused of sexually abusing some 75 Boy Scouts went on trial Monday _ but the proceedings were delayed until Tuesday because of a strike by lawyers. Preynat admitted in the 1990s to abusing boys, but was only removed from the priesthood last year. (AP Photo/Laurent Cipriani)
January 19, 2020 - 9:28 am
LYON, France (AP) — One of the first people to notice Bernard Preynat's unhealthy obsession for young boys was the supervisor at the seminary where, still a teen, the future priest started training for his career in the church. "At 14, 15 years old, I became interested in the youngest boys and the...
Read More
Catholic Bishop Andrew Bellisario speaks at a news conference Thursday, Jan. 16, 2020, in Anchorage, Alaska, announcing a review commissioned by the Archdiocese of Anchorage found credible evidence of sexual misconduct by 14 people who served in the archdiocese dating to 1966. The commission was charged with reviewing personnel files of "clerics and religious men and women" who served in the archdiocese dating to 1966, as well as reviewing allegations of sexual misconduct of lay volunteers and employees reported to the archdiocese. (AP Photo/Mark Thiessen)
January 16, 2020 - 8:27 pm
JUNEAU, Alaska (AP) — A review commissioned by the Archdiocese of Anchorage found credible evidence of sexual misconduct by 14 people who served in the archdiocese dating to 1966, a church leader announced Thursday. The findings were made by a commission that the archdiocese said included a former...
Read More
Former French priest Bernard Preynat, center, arrives at the Lyon court house, central France, Monday Jan.13, 2020. Bernard Preynat, is accused of sexually abusing some 75 Boy Scouts went on trial Monday _ but the proceedings were delayed until Tuesday because of a strike by lawyers. Preynat admitted in the 1990s to abusing boys, but was only removed from the priesthood last year. (AP Photo/Laurent Cipriani)
January 13, 2020 - 5:06 am
LYON, France (AP) — A former French priest accused of sexually abusing around 75 Boy Scouts went on trial Monday, but the proceedings were delayed for a day because of a strike by lawyers. The case is France’s worst clergy abuse drama to reach court so far, and its repercussions reached all the way...
Read More
Terrence Sample poses for a portrait in Baton Rouge, La., on Thursday, Dec. 12, 2019. Sample, now 58, was a middle school student at St. Procopius Catholic school, when Father Terence Fitzmaurice took an interest in him. He was groomed, isolated and assaulted for several years. (AP Photo/Gerald Herbert)
January 04, 2020 - 2:19 pm
The Samples were a black Chicago family, with six children and few resources. The priest helped them with tuition, clothes, bills. He offered the promise of opportunities — a better life. He also abused all the children. They told no one. They were afraid of not being believed and of losing what...
Read More
In this Friday, Dec. 20, 2019 photo, Bobby Goldberg looks to the road in front of his home in suburban Chicago. Goldberg has filed a lawsuit claiming he was abused more than 1,000 times in multiple states and countries by the late Donald McGuire, a prominent American Jesuit priest who had close ties to Mother Teresa. (AP Photo/Nam Y. Huh)
December 31, 2019 - 6:53 am
CHICAGO (AP) — One day in May of 1970, an 11-year-old boy and his disabled sister were sitting on the curb outside a Chicago tavern, waiting for their mother to come out. When a priest with crinkly eyes and a ready smile happened by and offered the family a ride home, they could not have been...
Read More
In this Saturday, Dec. 21, 2019 photo, Bobby Goldberg wipes his face at the office of his lawyer, Melissa Anderson, in Bannockburn, Ill. Goldberg has filed a lawsuit claiming he was abused more than 1,000 times in multiple states and countries by the late Donald McGuire, a prominent American Jesuit priest who had close ties to Mother Teresa. (AP Photo/Nam Y. Huh)
December 30, 2019 - 9:02 pm
CHICAGO (AP) — A globe-trotting Jesuit priest with ties to Mother Teresa sexually abused an American boy “more than 1,000 times, in multiple states and countries,” a lawsuit filed Monday in California state court in San Francisco alleges. In the lawsuit and in interviews with The Associated Press,...
Read More
This July 9, 2014, photo shows Bishop Peter Jugis at a groundbreaking ceremony for Mother Teresa Villa apartment homes for low-income disabled adults in Charlotte, N.C. The Catholic diocese in North Carolina on Monday, Dec. 30, 2019, published a list of 14 clergy who it says have been credibly accused of child sexual abuse in the nearly 50 years since the diocese was established. (Todd Sumlin/The Charlotte Observer via AP)
December 30, 2019 - 6:49 pm
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — A Catholic diocese in North Carolina on Monday published a list of 14 clergy who it says have been credibly accused of child sexual abuse in the nearly 50 years since the diocese was established. The Diocese of Charlotte also listed six clergy members who served the area before...
Read More
FILE - In this Monday, Aug. 10, 2015 file photo, Judge Timothy Feeley, left, addresses former the Rev. Richard J. McCormick, 74, in Salem Superior Court in Boston. Joey Covino said the entirety of his adult life had been altered by McCormick’s abuse over two summers at a Salesian camp - failed relationships, his decisions to join the military and later the police, nightmares that plagued him. His decision to come forward led to McCormick being convicted of rape in 2014 and sentenced to up to 10 years. McCormick since has pleaded guilty to assaulting another boy. (Faith Ninivaggi/The Boston Herald via AP, Pool)
December 28, 2019 - 2:02 pm
Richard J. Poster served time for possessing child pornography, violated his probation by having contact with children, admitted masturbating in the bushes near a church school and in 2005 was put on a sex offender registry. And yet the former Catholic priest was only just this month added to a...
Read More

Pages